Fido should be your best friend, right? I am my human’s best friend, and she keeps me happy with healthy, delicious, homemade treats! Be like my human and throw your Milkbone, Pedigree, and Iams treats into the garbage where they belong! They contain harmful chemicals in them and let’s face it, we want to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Most dogs won’t favor one treat over another, but if your dog has become a spoiled pup like me, then you only want the best for them! Pumpkin Dog Treats made by The Cook and Him are an excellent choice! They contain added fiber, protein, and other healthy components. This recipe makes a lot of biscuits; they freeze well, so serve them fresh or save them for another time!
Pumpkin Dog Treats
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 55 mins
Yield 40-50 biscuits – depends on the size of cutter used!
3 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 cup Hodmedods Quinoa Flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line several trays with baking parchment or silicone mats
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, quinoa flakes, and cinnamon
3. In a small bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, and peanut butter. Add this to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until a dough starts to form
4. You might find it easier to tip the mixture onto your work surface to turn it into a roll-able dough. You don’t need to worry about overworking it the same as pastry for us humans; the dogs really don’t care 😉
5. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to approximately 1/2 cm thick and cut out shapes using a cutter or just a knife – the shape is entirely up to you!
6. Put the biscuits on your trays – they don’t spread at all so you can put them quite close together – then bake for 35 minutes
7. Once they’re completely cooled store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze in batches ready to treat your pup on a regular basis! Alternatively, share the love with your other doggie friends ❤
I hope you get rid of any harmful treats and try their homemade pumpkin treats. Or anything made just for your dog!
Enjoy your holidays everypawdy,
-Karma the Pom
If you and your human celebrate Christmas and need stocking stuffers, celebrate Hanukah and need to find eight presents, or you love to celebrate and enjoy giving gifts, this blog is for you.
- BarkBox. Your dog loves toys and your friend’s dog loves toys. Start up a one, three, six, or twelve-month subscription for a playful pup. Getting toys and treats in the mail for your doggo will feel like it’s a holiday every month!
- Plush ToyPlush Toy. What’s better than a plush toy? Most likely your dog loves plush toys so spoil them with a designer look alike.
- Treat Dispensing Camera. Wouldn’t it be cool to watch your dog at home while you’re at work? Even better, what if you could dispense a treat to them while you’re out of the house?
- Puzzle. Your dog could never turn down a treat. A puzzle will have them doing extra work, providing them with mental stimulation, but lets face it… they just want to get to the treats!
- Dog Treats. The best part of your dog’s day, besides being with you, is getting their treat intake. Not only should treats be used in the dispensing camera or puzzles, but they should be their own present too. This would really make your pup happy!
- Brushing Stick. Humans, don’t worry about getting your dog mad or scared because they can brush their teeth on their own now. This rubber toy has spikes or bristles that will brush against doggos teeth to help grind off plaque and help clean their teeth.
- Zip Up Hoodie. Winter is cold, so keep your doggo and their furiends warm with a soft, quality zip up hoodie. You can customize them with your own graphic too.
- Bowties and Bandanas. Do you like to dress your dog up? Do your friends like to dress their dogs up? Get some quality bowties or bandanas that everyone will love.
-Karma the Pom
Animal shelters around the country are partnering up and offering free adoptions for everyone that is approved during the Thanksgiving weekend. These animals will be thankful for your love and a new home and in return you will get love and a loyal companion.
You can also help animals in other ways by reaching out locally and nationwide to shelters and humane societies this Thanksgiving to find out what they need. These animals have been through abuse, abandonment, natural disaster, and other stressors and the shelters need your help.
3 ways to help your local and nationwide shelters:
- Make a monetary donation. Animal shelters and humane societies will use donations for the health of the animals, keeping the shelter clean, and keeping the animals as comfortable as possible.
- Make a donation of specific things they need. Example: Harnesses, dry/canned food, treats, bowls, beds, leashes, and cleaning supplies for the cages.
- Volunteer at your local shelter. Find out what kind of volunteers your local shelter needs. It can be anything from cleaning the animal cages or planning events, to walking the dogs.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Karma the Pom!
Mustache + November = Movember
Men, it’s time to get your mustaches ready for Movember because November has begun! Movember was started (every November, yearly) to raise awareness and money for men’s health, like prostate cancer and mental health. Raising awareness and money can help push men to get check-ups, to get educated on their health, and to fund the Prostate Cancer Foundation for research and health services.
Your ‘mo’ustache will make a difference this month because it will become a conversation starter and it will inspire donations. The mustache is the ribbon for the Movember fundraiser, supporting your passion in the importance of men’s health. Men, get creative, grow your mustache, and donate the money you’d normally be spending on shaving.
Us dogs want to be included in Movember too. If your dog feels left out this November without a stache, check out BlackCatStitches for a mustache bow tie. You can also donate to my fundraiser and a get mustache pin along with great coupon codes to ThePassportPuppy and BlackCatStitches while helping support men’s health.
My fur was shaved into a ‘Mo’hawk, and I will grow it out all of November for my Movember foundation. I have set my goal to $2,000, and if I reach it, my mom will personally donate $1,500 to the humane society as well. So both the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Humane Society will both be getting reasonably large checks. Help us spread awareness and raise money for the cause! The money goes straight to the Foundation.
Please let me know if you have donated; I would love to show my thanks.
Grow a mo, save a bro.
Thank you in advance,
Karma the Pom
I see people dressed up in weird costumes. I see my furfriends dressed up in silly costumes. I smell candy and treats on the counter. You know what that means—right? Yappy Halloween! Halloween means all fun and games, but it could leave potential danger for us animals to deal with! Don’t be pet-rified because I would love to share some spook-tacular tips for everyone to stay safe during the holiday!
The Crazy Costumes
- Make sure your dog loves his costume
-We don’t want to be stressed
-We don’t want out breathing restricted
- Dogs usually don’t want masks
-This can also stress us out
- Try to limit the chew pieces available
-We can choke on the small pieces
- And stop using hair dye
-It’s not good for our fur and health
The Dramatic Decor
- Chew pieces should be out of the way
-Not only on costumes, but also in party decoration
-And human costumes too, we love to pick random objects up
- Cords and wires should be inaccessible
-They can cause choking and electrical hazards
- Use caution around glow sticks
-Contain toxic liquid to pets
- Avoid candlesticks
-We like to knock things over; be careful of the flames
The Haunted Host
- Constant visitors will stress your dog out
-We like to be kept in a comfortable, quiet room
- Do not leave your doggo unattended
-Doors open and close throughout the night
-If you do, make sure we are micro-chipped and have an identification tag
The Frightening Foods
- Avoid keepng food and cocktails in places your dog can reach
-Example: coffee tables, low counters
-They have a core that we can choke on
-It contains an ingredient called xylitol
-This is toxic to us
-It has an ingredient called theobromine
-This is also poisonous to us
-Be mindful of where you place these
-These are potentially toxic to us
The purpose of this article isn’t to scare you from having a great time; it is to help you have a safe, enjoyable, and stress-free Halloween. Make your doggo fun pumpkin treats (recipe below) to reward him for good behavior. Happy Halloween to the humans, and Yappy Halloween to all of my furfriends!
If you are concerned that your dog has ingested any of your Halloween candy, please call your vet!
Quick & Easy Recipe:
-1/2 can of plain pumpkin puree
NOT pumpkin pie mix, which contains sugar and spice
-2 tbsp of no salt, all peanut- peanut butter
-2 tbsp water
-Mix it all together
-Pour into ice tray
-Freeze and serve!
Yappy Halloween my friends!
-Karma the Pom
If your human is overprotective or if you just like a nice spa day every once in awhile then this article is for you. It’s important for our pawrents to find the perfect groomer for us like they find the perfect hair stylists for themselves. Changes through our skin and nails can happen among other things and a great groomer will not only notice, but also notify our humans in our best interest. An average groomer will give us a mediocre bath then a cut and send us home. An exceptional groomer will provide excellent services by giving baths and furcuts using the best quality products. It has taken some time, but my human finally found the groomer that meets all of my and my siblings’ needs.
It’s important for your human to ask your groomer, or future groomer, some questions before you start with them to make sure they are the perfect fit for you. My human asked Tess at Best in Show Grooming 21 questions before she left us with her for our spa day and she answered with confidence, with passion, and with expertise. After that interview going above and beyond giving 42 answers, we could have basically slept at Tess’ house and it would have been fine! Kidding, but she was so terrific.
Did you know there’s no regulation in the grooming industry as far as licensing? Neither did we. It’s so important you find a reputable groomer that stays on top of the latest health and style trends, and of course has good Yelp reviews, or you could be looking at some real troubles down the road!
Here’s a list of questions that are so important for your human to ask the groomer you are using or are going to use: (Thanks to the help of Tess at Best in Show Grooming)
- Are you insured?
- Is your business licensed?
- Are you a mobile groomer?
- Maybe mobile is the best fit for your schedule.
- Are you a member of any grooming organizations?
- Example: National Dog Groomers Association of America
- Since no licensing is required for dog groomers, this means that there are no requirements for any formal courses or certifications
- Have you attended/joined any other organizations?
- Example: certifications processes and extensive education
- Example: attending seminars, competitions, conventions, expos, and maybe even dog shows
- Is the equipment being used during grooming professional grade?
- What vaccinations do you require your clients to have?
- Do you specialize in anything?
- Example: seniors, difficult dogs, specific breeds
- Where will my dog be during grooming?
- Even if humans aren’t insured in the grooming area, they should still be able to get a sneak peak of where their pet will be
- Is it clean?
- Are the kennels/crates cleaned between each dog?
- How many dogs can be worked on at a time?
- Example: high volume rotation vs. one on one private care
- What is included during my dogs grooming?
- What are your costs?
- Are the products that are being used high quality?
- What are the products?
- Will you notify me on how my dog did at their spa day?
- Good communication and honesty is so important
- Example: changes in skin, rash, anything new
- Example: was my dog well behaved?
- After all of that, do you feel as if this person could build a worthy relationship with you and your pet?
- You have to feel as if your doggo will feel comfortable and trusting around this person
- You especially have to trust them – that overprotective human
When you’re choosing a groomer for us, it’s not just about maintaining our beauty, but it’s maintaining our physical health as well. Although you can groom us at home with brushing our fur and teeth, it’s also a good choice to bring us to a professional. They’re not afraid to get into our ears and places you humans are too lazy to get to. If the profession is as exceptional as they claim to be, they’ll be able to spot any abnormalities in our skin that our humans might miss at home, they will have passion for their work, they will extremely educated in the field, and they will be worthy enough for your family. Don’t wait, make sure doggo’s groomer has the best credentials!
And if you’re in the Miami area click here to get to Tess’ website.
& Check out my previous blog about my Movember fundraiser – reason for my mohawk!
-Karma the Pom
September is “Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.” It’s not only the awareness month for men’s health, but for many other cancers as well. While September is still here, I wanted to start this page. During October I will be shaving my hair into a the style of a Mohawk, while we fall into November for Movember. Movember is No- Shave November, where the mustache is the ribbon being represented for prostate cancer. Help me reach the fundraising goal of $1,500. My mom says that if we raise $1,500 for the Movember Foundation, she will donate $1,500 of her personal money to an animal shelter. We will update pictures once my hair is cute! Please let us know if you donate, we would love to show our thanks, and also with a pin and coupon codes for the clothes by @passportpuppy and bow ties @blackcatstitches for those that donate $20 or more! 😀🐶🎉➰💙
Click here to reach my Movember Foundation page!
Thank you in advance!!!
-Karma the Pom