Fido should be your best friend, right? I am my human’s best friend, and she keeps me happy with healthy, delicious, homemade treats! Be like my human and throw your Milkbone, Pedigree, and Iams treats into the garbage where they belong! They contain harmful chemicals in them and let’s face it, we want to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Most dogs won’t favor one treat over another, but if your dog has become a spoiled pup like me, then you only want the best for them! Pumpkin Dog Treats made by The Cook and Him are an excellent choice! They contain added fiber, protein, and other healthy components. This recipe makes a lot of biscuits; they freeze well, so serve them fresh or save them for another time!
Pumpkin Dog Treats
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 55 mins
Yield 40-50 biscuits – depends on the size of cutter used!
3 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 cup Hodmedods Quinoa Flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line several trays with baking parchment or silicone mats
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, quinoa flakes, and cinnamon
3. In a small bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, and peanut butter. Add this to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until a dough starts to form
4. You might find it easier to tip the mixture onto your work surface to turn it into a roll-able dough. You don’t need to worry about overworking it the same as pastry for us humans; the dogs really don’t care 😉
5. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to approximately 1/2 cm thick and cut out shapes using a cutter or just a knife – the shape is entirely up to you!
6. Put the biscuits on your trays – they don’t spread at all so you can put them quite close together – then bake for 35 minutes
7. Once they’re completely cooled store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze in batches ready to treat your pup on a regular basis! Alternatively, share the love with your other doggie friends ❤
Enjoy your holidays everypawdy,
-Karma the Pom