Although dogs were meant to be naked, how could we resist the cute sweaters that are designed just for them? Whether you go into a shop with your dog or browse online, you can find an outfit anywhere. If you ask anyone, they may say New York City has the best-dressed dogs, but I think you can see them all over the world. Every year outfits get better and better, especially in the wintertime. This winter has already outdone itself for the trendiest, unique, and best-dressed pups. Let’s appreciate the cutest and most fashionable dogs of 2018.
Lola: New York
Teddy & Toby: Istanbul
Riley & Delilah: Michigan
Mika & Karma: New Jersey
Butters: Los Angeles
Lola: New Jersey
Cinderelly: New York
Prairie Dog: Canada
Luna: New Jersey
Lucy & Dakota: North Carolina
Now that you’ve had a chance to see some of the cutest pups I know in their winter gear, are you ready to start shopping? It’s possible you will enjoy this more than you think and your dog will thank you for warming them up in the cold. Do you think your friends will judge you? Or do you think this might leave the opportunity to grow your social circle with others that enjoy dog fashion too? Comment or message me with pictures and feedback for more articles!
Happy New Year!
-Karma the Pom
Did you include your dogs, cats, and other animals in your 2018 New Year’s resolutions? They could use a happier and healthier year too! There’s a more significant list of ways you can commit them to staying strong and well besides adding better treats and belly rubs.
- Vet Checkup. It is crucial for your dog to get a checkup yearly. It can give our vet a chance to detect any conditions early and prevent any others from developing. Most importantly we go so that we can stay healthy.
- Grooming. Our hair and fur can get real knotted, smelly, uncomfortable, and long. It’s essential for you to take your animals to get groomed every so often.
- Teeth Cleaning. It’s important for our teeth to be brushed and kept clean. It not only helps our stinky breath to stay fresh, but it also helps with how our teeth age as we become seniors.
- Therapy Dog. Is your dog a good candidate to become a therapy dog? They could help humans cope with illness, stress, and recovery.
- New Friends. Is your dog social? Go to local dog parks and dog events. You never know, you might end up making life-long friends as well!
- Plan a Pawty! If you and your dog have a social circle, what’s better than a celebration?
- Daily Exercise. You don’t have to increase Fido’s regular exercise, but do not hold back on it or forget about it either. Maybe a trip to the park or a more extended walk every so often would be nice. If the weather is bad, try some indoor activities like a light game of fetch.
- Go On An Adventure. Take Fido on a trip. Most of us love trips, and we love to be with our humans. Try it out and see if a new activity would excite us.
- Dog Friendly Places. Take some time to find local dog friendly places. A day out together is the best time ever.
- Unconditional Love. Don’t take your pup for granted. We just want a little bit of our human’s time and their unconditional love.
Try to stay as committed to your resolutions as possible. Your dog will love and appreciate you more than could ever be imagined!
Happy New Year!
-Karma the Pom
Do you know when your pup’s birthday is? It’s okay if they are a rescue, you can use their adoption date. If you are reading this post, I assume you have a dog and/or you love dogs. Every dog, no matter what breed or age deserves a puppy party! Gifts, toys, treats, special attention, and a nice dinner are all good, but a pawty with all of Fido’s friends just sounds way better. If you are a dedicated dog mom or dad, then get ready to plan (and spend some money)! It’s all worth it, in the end, to see those tails wag.
Here’s how to do it:
*Find a place – like a park
*Figure out a time that works best for you and friends
*Make an invitation and send them out to your fur-friends -> on your phone
*Buy some supplies – birthday hats, toys, water bowls, and treats
*Order a cake made special for your dog
Have a great time at your pawty!
-Karma the Pom
I get excited when my human takes me on fun adventures. One cool experience was stand up paddle boarding. It was both our first time, but we heard how much fun it was, so off to paddle boarding we went. I was having a blast, but my human was a mess! How embarrassing.
She didn’t tip the board over, but it could have happened multiple times, so I’m glad I was wearing my life jacket. If I had fallen in the water without a life jacket, I might have had trouble swimming and been separated or been exhausted quickly to swim back to the board. If I was separated, my human could have spotted me with my bright yellow vest.
Make sure you bring some dog-friendly sunscreen for Fido. Sunscreen? Yes, we wear sunscreen too!
Be careful about what dog leash you bring, or if you choose to use one as it can get tangled.
Make sure you keep us dogs hydrated before and after the trip. Although we will be in “water,” it’s just not the same. Being on a paddleboard is in the hot sun and heats us. Bring along a plenty of water, maybe in a swell bottle or any water bottle along with a small bowl.
Hopefully, your pup gets groomed because our nails can affect our balance and grip on the board. We might slip off, just like my human almost did!
And last, have fun paddleboarding! Make sure both you and your pup are having fun! Neither of you should be stressed out!
Be safe and stay hydrated my friends!
-Karma the Pom
If you and your human celebrate Christmas and need stocking stuffers, celebrate Hanukah and need to find eight presents, or you love to celebrate and enjoy giving gifts, this blog is for you.
- BarkBox. Your dog loves toys and your friend’s dog loves toys. Start up a one, three, six, or twelve-month subscription for a playful pup. Getting toys and treats in the mail for your doggo will feel like it’s a holiday every month!
- Plush ToyPlush Toy. What’s better than a plush toy? Most likely your dog loves plush toys so spoil them with a designer look alike.
- Treat Dispensing Camera. Wouldn’t it be cool to watch your dog at home while you’re at work? Even better, what if you could dispense a treat to them while you’re out of the house?
- Puzzle. Your dog could never turn down a treat. A puzzle will have them doing extra work, providing them with mental stimulation, but lets face it… they just want to get to the treats!
- Dog Treats. The best part of your dog’s day, besides being with you, is getting their treat intake. Not only should treats be used in the dispensing camera or puzzles, but they should be their own present too. This would really make your pup happy!
- Brushing Stick. Humans, don’t worry about getting your dog mad or scared because they can brush their teeth on their own now. This rubber toy has spikes or bristles that will brush against doggos teeth to help grind off plaque and help clean their teeth.
- Zip Up Hoodie. Winter is cold, so keep your doggo and their furiends warm with a soft, quality zip up hoodie. You can customize them with your own graphic too.
- Bowties and Bandanas. Do you like to dress your dog up? Do your friends like to dress their dogs up? Get some quality bowties or bandanas that everyone will love.
-Karma the Pom
Mustache + November = Movember
Men, it’s time to get your mustaches ready for Movember because November has begun! Movember was started (every November, yearly) to raise awareness and money for men’s health, like prostate cancer and mental health. Raising awareness and money can help push men to get check-ups, to get educated on their health, and to fund the Prostate Cancer Foundation for research and health services.
Your ‘mo’ustache will make a difference this month because it will become a conversation starter and it will inspire donations. The mustache is the ribbon for the Movember fundraiser, supporting your passion in the importance of men’s health. Men, get creative, grow your mustache, and donate the money you’d normally be spending on shaving.
Us dogs want to be included in Movember too. If your dog feels left out this November without a stache, check out BlackCatStitches for a mustache bow tie. You can also donate to my fundraiser and a get mustache pin along with great coupon codes to ThePassportPuppy and BlackCatStitches while helping support men’s health.
My fur was shaved into a ‘Mo’hawk, and I will grow it out all of November for my Movember foundation. I have set my goal to $2,000, and if I reach it, my mom will personally donate $1,500 to the humane society as well. So both the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Humane Society will both be getting reasonably large checks. Help us spread awareness and raise money for the cause! The money goes straight to the Foundation.
Please let me know if you have donated; I would love to show my thanks.
Grow a mo, save a bro.
Thank you in advance,
Karma the Pom
I see people dressed up in weird costumes. I see my furfriends dressed up in silly costumes. I smell candy and treats on the counter. You know what that means—right? Yappy Halloween! Halloween means all fun and games, but it could leave potential danger for us animals to deal with! Don’t be pet-rified because I would love to share some spook-tacular tips for everyone to stay safe during the holiday!
The Crazy Costumes
- Make sure your dog loves his costume
-We don’t want to be stressed
-We don’t want out breathing restricted
- Dogs usually don’t want masks
-This can also stress us out
- Try to limit the chew pieces available
-We can choke on the small pieces
- And stop using hair dye
-It’s not good for our fur and health
The Dramatic Decor
- Chew pieces should be out of the way
-Not only on costumes, but also in party decoration
-And human costumes too, we love to pick random objects up
- Cords and wires should be inaccessible
-They can cause choking and electrical hazards
- Use caution around glow sticks
-Contain toxic liquid to pets
- Avoid candlesticks
-We like to knock things over; be careful of the flames
The Haunted Host
- Constant visitors will stress your dog out
-We like to be kept in a comfortable, quiet room
- Do not leave your doggo unattended
-Doors open and close throughout the night
-If you do, make sure we are micro-chipped and have an identification tag
The Frightening Foods
- Avoid keepng food and cocktails in places your dog can reach
-Example: coffee tables, low counters
-They have a core that we can choke on
-It contains an ingredient called xylitol
-This is toxic to us
-It has an ingredient called theobromine
-This is also poisonous to us
-Be mindful of where you place these
-These are potentially toxic to us
The purpose of this article isn’t to scare you from having a great time; it is to help you have a safe, enjoyable, and stress-free Halloween. Make your doggo fun pumpkin treats (recipe below) to reward him for good behavior. Happy Halloween to the humans, and Yappy Halloween to all of my furfriends!
If you are concerned that your dog has ingested any of your Halloween candy, please call your vet!
Quick & Easy Recipe:
-1/2 can of plain pumpkin puree
NOT pumpkin pie mix, which contains sugar and spice
-2 tbsp of no salt, all peanut- peanut butter
-2 tbsp water
-Mix it all together
-Pour into ice tray
-Freeze and serve!
Yappy Halloween my friends!
-Karma the Pom
If your human is overprotective or if you just like a nice spa day every once in awhile then this article is for you. It’s important for our pawrents to find the perfect groomer for us like they find the perfect hair stylists for themselves. Changes through our skin and nails can happen among other things and a great groomer will not only notice, but also notify our humans in our best interest. An average groomer will give us a mediocre bath then a cut and send us home. An exceptional groomer will provide excellent services by giving baths and furcuts using the best quality products. It has taken some time, but my human finally found the groomer that meets all of my and my siblings’ needs.
It’s important for your human to ask your groomer, or future groomer, some questions before you start with them to make sure they are the perfect fit for you. My human asked Tess at Best in Show Grooming 21 questions before she left us with her for our spa day and she answered with confidence, with passion, and with expertise. After that interview going above and beyond giving 42 answers, we could have basically slept at Tess’ house and it would have been fine! Kidding, but she was so terrific.
Did you know there’s no regulation in the grooming industry as far as licensing? Neither did we. It’s so important you find a reputable groomer that stays on top of the latest health and style trends, and of course has good Yelp reviews, or you could be looking at some real troubles down the road!
Here’s a list of questions that are so important for your human to ask the groomer you are using or are going to use: (Thanks to the help of Tess at Best in Show Grooming)
- Are you insured?
- Is your business licensed?
- Are you a mobile groomer?
- Maybe mobile is the best fit for your schedule.
- Are you a member of any grooming organizations?
- Example: National Dog Groomers Association of America
- Since no licensing is required for dog groomers, this means that there are no requirements for any formal courses or certifications
- Have you attended/joined any other organizations?
- Example: certifications processes and extensive education
- Example: attending seminars, competitions, conventions, expos, and maybe even dog shows
- Is the equipment being used during grooming professional grade?
- What vaccinations do you require your clients to have?
- Do you specialize in anything?
- Example: seniors, difficult dogs, specific breeds
- Where will my dog be during grooming?
- Even if humans aren’t insured in the grooming area, they should still be able to get a sneak peak of where their pet will be
- Is it clean?
- Are the kennels/crates cleaned between each dog?
- How many dogs can be worked on at a time?
- Example: high volume rotation vs. one on one private care
- What is included during my dogs grooming?
- What are your costs?
- Are the products that are being used high quality?
- What are the products?
- Will you notify me on how my dog did at their spa day?
- Good communication and honesty is so important
- Example: changes in skin, rash, anything new
- Example: was my dog well behaved?
- After all of that, do you feel as if this person could build a worthy relationship with you and your pet?
- You have to feel as if your doggo will feel comfortable and trusting around this person
- You especially have to trust them – that overprotective human
When you’re choosing a groomer for us, it’s not just about maintaining our beauty, but it’s maintaining our physical health as well. Although you can groom us at home with brushing our fur and teeth, it’s also a good choice to bring us to a professional. They’re not afraid to get into our ears and places you humans are too lazy to get to. If the profession is as exceptional as they claim to be, they’ll be able to spot any abnormalities in our skin that our humans might miss at home, they will have passion for their work, they will extremely educated in the field, and they will be worthy enough for your family. Don’t wait, make sure doggo’s groomer has the best credentials!
And if you’re in the Miami area click here to get to Tess’ website.
& Check out my previous blog about my Movember fundraiser – reason for my mohawk!
-Karma the Pom
Did you know we help our humans reach their wellness goals? So much so that studies from SunTrust claim millennials are finding them to search for homes solely based on our needs instead of their own or maybe their future children.
We help our humans:
1)Achieve physical wellness by increasing their activity and exercise – even just from our walks outside,
2)Reach emotional wellness because we give them comfort by acting as a companion and give them unconditional love,
3)and we bring them social wellness since we promote interactions between our humans and that can lead to further topics of conversations.
When we help you reach these stages of wellness, there’s no way you could move somewhere that says “no dogs.” It’s wonderful knowing we are such a priority in our pawrents’ life that they are willing to have their mortgage go straight to us. Our humans are our companions in return so we wouldn’t want it any other way.
Why did your family buy their first home?
I hope this Wednesday brings wellness to your life!
-Karma the Pom
Karma10 for 10% off Baylors Bow Ties
Today I went to my first baseball game! It was the Marlins vs the Padres Bark at the Park game. There were 24,000 people and 500 fur-friends. All of the proceeds from our tickets today went to the humane society so we were happy to help! Big crowds like that usually scare my siblings because they suffer from anxiety, but I do okay in them. My human dressed me up in my pawfect for the game baseball bow tie from Baylors Bow Tie Boutique ** (description and coupon below). Being cute wasn’t our only priority during the game, the humans made sure that we were hydrated with water the whole time! It was important, especially since I saw some dogs overheat and need special attention. I had so much fun and met so many new people and fur-friends, I even got a new bandana! I can’t wait until Bark at the Park next year! Don’t forget to check out Baylors Bow Ties!
**My baseball bow tie from Baylors Bow Tie Boutique was such a hit at the game. It caused so much attention! It wasn’t because I am so cute, but because of how good the fabric is. It comes with a Velcro loop that will fit around your collar. They’re already at the perfect price… but what’s better than a coupon?? You have one week so get your bow ties! KARMA10 for 10% off your order!!
-Karma the Pom