Mustache + November = Movember
Men, it’s time to get your mustaches ready for Movember because November has begun! Movember was started (every November, yearly) to raise awareness and money for men’s health, like prostate cancer and mental health. Raising awareness and money can help push men to get check-ups, to get educated on their health, and to fund the Prostate Cancer Foundation for research and health services.
Your ‘mo’ustache will make a difference this month because it will become a conversation starter and it will inspire donations. The mustache is the ribbon for the Movember fundraiser, supporting your passion in the importance of men’s health. Men, get creative, grow your mustache, and donate the money you’d normally be spending on shaving.
Us dogs want to be included in Movember too. If your dog feels left out this November without a stache, check out BlackCatStitches for a mustache bow tie. You can also donate to my fundraiser and a get mustache pin along with great coupon codes to ThePassportPuppy and BlackCatStitches while helping support men’s health.
My fur was shaved into a ‘Mo’hawk, and I will grow it out all of November for my Movember foundation. I have set my goal to $2,000, and if I reach it, my mom will personally donate $1,500 to the humane society as well. So both the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Humane Society will both be getting reasonably large checks. Help us spread awareness and raise money for the cause! The money goes straight to the Foundation.
Please let me know if you have donated; I would love to show my thanks.
Grow a mo, save a bro.
Thank you in advance,
Karma the Pom
If your human is overprotective or if you just like a nice spa day every once in awhile then this article is for you. It’s important for our pawrents to find the perfect groomer for us like they find the perfect hair stylists for themselves. Changes through our skin and nails can happen among other things and a great groomer will not only notice, but also notify our humans in our best interest. An average groomer will give us a mediocre bath then a cut and send us home. An exceptional groomer will provide excellent services by giving baths and furcuts using the best quality products. It has taken some time, but my human finally found the groomer that meets all of my and my siblings’ needs.
It’s important for your human to ask your groomer, or future groomer, some questions before you start with them to make sure they are the perfect fit for you. My human asked Tess at Best in Show Grooming 21 questions before she left us with her for our spa day and she answered with confidence, with passion, and with expertise. After that interview going above and beyond giving 42 answers, we could have basically slept at Tess’ house and it would have been fine! Kidding, but she was so terrific.
Did you know there’s no regulation in the grooming industry as far as licensing? Neither did we. It’s so important you find a reputable groomer that stays on top of the latest health and style trends, and of course has good Yelp reviews, or you could be looking at some real troubles down the road!
Here’s a list of questions that are so important for your human to ask the groomer you are using or are going to use: (Thanks to the help of Tess at Best in Show Grooming)
- Are you insured?
- Is your business licensed?
- Are you a mobile groomer?
- Maybe mobile is the best fit for your schedule.
- Are you a member of any grooming organizations?
- Example: National Dog Groomers Association of America
- Since no licensing is required for dog groomers, this means that there are no requirements for any formal courses or certifications
- Have you attended/joined any other organizations?
- Example: certifications processes and extensive education
- Example: attending seminars, competitions, conventions, expos, and maybe even dog shows
- Is the equipment being used during grooming professional grade?
- What vaccinations do you require your clients to have?
- Do you specialize in anything?
- Example: seniors, difficult dogs, specific breeds
- Where will my dog be during grooming?
- Even if humans aren’t insured in the grooming area, they should still be able to get a sneak peak of where their pet will be
- Is it clean?
- Are the kennels/crates cleaned between each dog?
- How many dogs can be worked on at a time?
- Example: high volume rotation vs. one on one private care
- What is included during my dogs grooming?
- What are your costs?
- Are the products that are being used high quality?
- What are the products?
- Will you notify me on how my dog did at their spa day?
- Good communication and honesty is so important
- Example: changes in skin, rash, anything new
- Example: was my dog well behaved?
- After all of that, do you feel as if this person could build a worthy relationship with you and your pet?
- You have to feel as if your doggo will feel comfortable and trusting around this person
- You especially have to trust them – that overprotective human
When you’re choosing a groomer for us, it’s not just about maintaining our beauty, but it’s maintaining our physical health as well. Although you can groom us at home with brushing our fur and teeth, it’s also a good choice to bring us to a professional. They’re not afraid to get into our ears and places you humans are too lazy to get to. If the profession is as exceptional as they claim to be, they’ll be able to spot any abnormalities in our skin that our humans might miss at home, they will have passion for their work, they will extremely educated in the field, and they will be worthy enough for your family. Don’t wait, make sure doggo’s groomer has the best credentials!
And if you’re in the Miami area click here to get to Tess’ website.
& Check out my previous blog about my Movember fundraiser – reason for my mohawk!
-Karma the Pom